Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tuesday - No Self Portrait

Our friend Timber died on Thursday. On Sunday morning I went into the kitchen to do some pre-Church prep on the meal for 25 people that I was taking to the Tillemann-Dick's after church. I looked into the bunny cage and one was dead and the other near-dead. I started to cry and tried to get the little dying bunny to drink some water. It didn't work out and he died in my hand. It was terrible. Sierra woke up a few minutes later, so excited to hold the bunnies. I told her two had died and she said, "That is so sad. Now Kaia will not have a bunny to hold." She brought a little childlike humor (through a selfish comment) to a sad moment. When we went into church that morning the Bishop asked me to give the opening prayer. I knew he wanted me to pray for the Tillemann-Dick's and I didn't think it would be difficult until he got up to the pulpit and started to cry. I cried through most of my prayer and when it was done the family walked in and took their seats. The Temple President and his wife happened to be speaking to us and it was perfect. Today was the funeral. It lasted from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. I am so grateful that my sister Janelle watched the kids for us all day. At the funeral, all 11 kids talked and sang. Charity, who has had pulmonary hypertension for the past 3 years, sang "Nearer My God To Thee" and it was beautifully heart-wrenching. Timber's wife, Annette, spoke and it was life changing. She sang a few verses from several love songs during her talk and I hope I never forget the message. She knows that she still has Timber and his love. The true tragedy would be if love were lost. Timber's brother spoke about their childhood in Aspen. They spent countless hours building forts and exploring in the beautiful mountains. I kept thinking how I want our kids to be able to grow up somewhere like that. To explore, to create, to learn from nature, etc.
In between the service and the lunch, I had to drive to the accountant's office to sign the tax papers (last minute? yep). I don't know how many people were at the lunch, it looked like thousands. Then we went to the grave site. Only two month's ago Annette's father died. At that time Timber gave detailed wishes to his oldest daughter of what he wanted at his own funeral. He wanted to be buried under a tree and in a simple wood box made without nails (common in Jewish funerals). I was so touched by what was said today. I wish I could have recorded it all so I could listen again and again. I rushed from the cemetary to Janelle's house. She'd had the kids for about 8 hours. I was amazed to find her still smiling. We barely made it home in time for the Elder's to arrive for dinner. Adam made his famous Biscuts and Gravy and it was a success. We have two great Elder's right now, the kind you just love to have in your home.
Needless to say, I wasn't in a situation to take a Self Portrait. I'll keep you on the edge of your seat for next week.


rohdy said...

Oh Mindi, I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. The service sounds amazing and inspiring. Thanks for sharing. Hugs to you and Adam. Karen